Sunday, November 06, 2005

Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines.


By Mario Giordani
Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved.
http://1stpromotions.com

When you're at home all the time, people have a way of giving you everything to do, with no regard for your job. It can be very hard indeed to keep your family life separate from your business when you work at home -- in fact, this is one of the most common reasons home businesses fail, and their owners come away all too glad to get back to the corporate grindstone. If you don't want to be driven away from home business, here's what you need to do to keep your family at bay.

Work Time, Home Time.

Make a schedule for when you're going to work and when you're not, and stick to it. This doesn't have to be inflexible -- it's very silly to only work nine to five every day, for example -- but it still really needs to be there. Without a plan, you're inevitably going to go too far one way or the other, and either work far too much or nowhere near enough. You might find it best to a new plan at the start of each month or week, so that you can still respond to changes in circumstances.

Yes, I know it can be difficult to draw clear lines between family time and work time, especially if your family is around for some of the hours that you want to be working. The only thing I can say to you is that it's important to keep on trying, because the moment you give up everything's going to come crashing down. Whatever you do, don't let your family anywhere near your office space.

Fit Errands Around Work.

People will obviously be upset if you absolutely refuse to run their errands -- is it really so much trouble to run down to the bank when you're at home all day? -- but you can't let them take away hours from work. You should make your response automatic. When someone asks you to take an hour out of work to do something during the day, tell them that you'll have to make that hour up at the end of the day, so they shouldn't expect you out of the office until an hour later than usual.

Don't Do Chores.

It can be tempting to do the laundry or the dishes when there's a load of them to do and work seems slow, but don't give it to it during your working day. Chores eat up an amazing amount of time. One thing you can do to help resist the temptation is to wear better clothes than you usually would when you're working -- not a suit, but something business-casual that you wouldn't really be willing to wash dishes in.

Have a Business Phone Line.

You need a phone line that's just for business to let clients leave messages for you when you're not in the office. Say exactly that in the message: 'I'm not in the office right now, but please leave your name and number and I'll get back to you'. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to take business calls after-hours, or give out your personal number to business contacts -- this is a sure-fire way to never stop working. Turn off the ringer on your business phone when you leave the office for the day.

With Children, All Bets are Off.

If you have children at home during the day (if they haven't started school yet, or it's a school holiday), it can be very difficult to maintain a sensible work pattern. They will come and bother you at every opportunity, because they miss you and want to see you. They'll even cause trouble just to get you to sort it out. They wanted to come and bothered you at your office job too, you know, but they had no way of getting there.

So what can you do when there are children in the house? After all, it's harsh to just ignore them, isn't it? The best answer I've found is to hire a babysitter, who can keep the kids entertained while you work. It could get expensive, but it shouldn't be for long, right?

13 Comments:

Blogger NewsBlogger said...

I am Mario, and I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON internet homebusiness and found your site.
Sorry, I have see that your Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest. If you like you can contact me. Your page I see row why I found when I was looking for internet homebusiness related information. Anyway, I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

3:11 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hello, I like to contact you! My name is Mario,
By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about make money I have found your site.
I was looking out for make money related information. Sorry, I have see that your Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

11:53 PM  
Blogger czsgdwqtxf said...

I have to say I really liked your site Mario. see the thing is that I'm very lazy and I never really felt to leave some thank you notes on anyone's blog even I enjoyed it. but today I don't even know why I'm writing this because your site is not even what I was looking for. I was searching for how to make money and Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. is not a perfect match for it. but I guess sometimes people do things for no reason. maybe I just felt it is time for a change since I hardly post on anyone's site. anyway, thanks for the reading!

8:47 AM  
Blogger czsgdwqtxf said...

Hi there Mario, I am just out surfing and seaching for some information about how to make money and found your place, Although Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. is not quite what I'm looking for but I still decided to have a closer look at your site bacause it got my attention, it's just one of those start on one thing and end up on another, you know. I can see why I end up at your page while I was looking for how to make money related topics, and I'm happy that I did not skip it even this is not a perfect match. thanks! .

9:56 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hello, I like to contact you! My name is Mario,
By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about adsense Google I have found your site.
I was looking out for adsense Google related information. Sorry, I have see that your Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

8:03 AM  
Blogger czsgdwqtxf said...

Hi, can I call you Mario? I guess it's kind of special that I'm posting here because I'm still pretty new to blog and don't really know how to blog surfing yet. I was out search for some infor about e-gold but haven't had much luck so far, and since everyone calls blog "web 2.0", many have said that this is the next generation of internet, so I decided to try look for things in blog.com. and guess what? I still haven't had much luck, but your site got my attention although Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. is not a perfect much to e-gold. anyway, I think I'll keep going and try to understand a bit more about blogs. thanks for the reading, cheers!

10:29 PM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hi there Mario, I AM OUT SEARCHING FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON adsense marketing and found your site.
Although Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see row why I found your page when I was looking for adsense marketing related information, and I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.

Fritz

11:42 AM  
Blogger czsgdwqtxf said...

I have to say I really liked your site Mario. see the thing is that I'm very lazy and I never really felt to leave some thank you notes on anyone's blog even I enjoyed it. but today I don't even know why I'm writing this because your site is not even what I was looking for. I was searching for e-gold and Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. is not a perfect match for it. but I guess sometimes people do things for no reason. maybe I just felt it is time for a change since I hardly post on anyone's site. anyway, thanks for the reading!

9:21 PM  
Blogger qandxmstg said...

Hi Mario, the content on your blog is quite interesting to me, although it is not quite what I was looking for. I was out searching for stuff on how make money but I have gone through so many different sites that are not relate to the topic I was looking for, I did not feel like to post on any of them until now, I thought it's nice to leave something although Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. is not exactly how make money related because I still kind of enjoyed it. thanks!

2:44 AM  
Blogger qandxmstg said...

Hi, can I call you Mario? I guess it's kind of special that I'm posting here because I'm still pretty new to blog and don't really know how to blog surfing yet. I was out search for some infor about how make money but haven't had much luck so far, and since everyone calls blog "web 2.0", many have said that this is the next generation of internet, so I decided to try look for things in blog.com. and guess what? I still haven't had much luck, but your site got my attention although Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. is not a perfect much to how make money. anyway, I think I'll keep going and try to understand a bit more about blogs. thanks for the reading, cheers!

7:53 PM  
Blogger czsgdwqtxf said...

Hi Mario, the content on your blog is quite interesting to me, although it is not quite what I was looking for. I was out searching for stuff on how to make money but I have gone through so many different sites that are not relate to the topic I was looking for, I did not feel like to post on any of them until now, I thought it's nice to leave something although Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. is not exactly how to make money related because I still kind of enjoyed it. thanks!

12:19 AM  
Blogger czsgdwqtxf said...

I have to say I really liked your site Mario. see the thing is that I'm very lazy and I never really felt to leave some thank you notes on anyone's blog even I enjoyed it. but today I don't even know why I'm writing this because your site is not even what I was looking for. I was searching for how to make money and Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines. is not a perfect match for it. but I guess sometimes people do things for no reason. maybe I just felt it is time for a change since I hardly post on anyone's site. anyway, thanks for the reading!

7:02 AM  
Blogger ntmdddrbrwzc said...

Hi Mario, well you know we humans always start doing things on one topic and later found ourselves doing something else, this is always what happened to me. I started looking for something on how make money 2 hours ago however have found my seself looking at all different topics, of course including your site Working and Living: Don't Blur the Lines.. I thought what the hell since I'm here already might as well just leave a few words. Ok I'll go on to search for how make money related stuff again and hopefully it'll take me longer than last time to lose my concentration. cheers!

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home